FLU VACCINE INFORMATION
(This page is to inform you about the status of our flu vaccine supplies and information)
Important Update As of 31 March 2021
- We have received supply of government-funded flu vaccines. These vaccine are available FREE of any cost for anyone 65 years and over, 6 months to 5 years old and those who are between 5 and 65 years old and have an eligible medical condition. (conditions explained below)
- As previously announced, we have also supplies of private flu vaccines. These vaccines are for anyone between the ages of 5 and 65 years who do not qualify for the government funded flu vaccine program. The cost is $25.
Important Info About Flu Vaccine 2021
Please read through this page before making an appointment
Appointments can be made by calling the practice on (02) 9023 9999.
When can I have the 2021 flu vaccine?
The 2021 seasonal flu vaccine is NOW AVAILABLE at Milsons Point Medical Centre.
Patients need to allow at least two weeks between receiving the flu vaccine and the COVID vaccine. So, unless you are eligible for the first phase of the COVID vaccine rollout (Phase 1b), it’s important to come in for your flu vaccine before the COVID vaccine is available to the wider population.
Do I need the flu vaccine this year?
Immunising against the influenza virus saves lives and helps lower the risk of diagnostic uncertainty between the flu and COVID. Detailed answers to frequently asked questions about influenza vaccine can be found here.
Should I prioritise the flu shot over COVID vaccine?
Unless you are eligible for the first phase of the COVID vaccine rollout, it’s important to prioritise the flu vaccine. This includes families with children. If you are bringing your children in for vaccination, please do this during the day. Children need to be monitored for a reaction at the medical centre for 10 minutes after receiving their vaccination and at home by their caregivers afterwards.
What Influenza vaccine am I eligible for?
There are two groups of influenza vaccines available in 2021 which are BOTH AVAILABLE NOW at Milsons Point Medical Centre.
1- Government-funded Flu Vaccine which is Free for the following eligible groups:
- people aged 65 years and over
- pregnant women
- children under 5 years old
- Aboriginal people
- medically at risk groups (explained below)
2- Private Flu Vaccine : for those who are between 5 and 65 years old. This is not government funded and provided by us at a cost of $25
If I am between 5 and 65 years old, what makes me eligible for a government-funded flu shot?
- If you identify as an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander you are eligible at any age for a government funded vaccine.
- If you have one of the following medical conditions, you are eligible under the government funded seasonal influenza program
Please note that the Commonwealth and State governments have very strict criteria around who is eligible for government funded vaccines. You will not be provided with a free vaccine unless you fall into one of the following categories:
- patients with cardiac disease, including cyanotic congenital heart disease, coronary artery disease and congestive heart failure.
- patients with chronic respiratory conditions, including suppurative lung disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and severe asthma (note that this is defined as needed those needing multiple medications or frequent medical visits);
- patients without a functioning spleen;
- patients who are immunocompromised; including with HIV; cancer; chronic steroid (cortisone) use; solid organ transplant; bone marrow or stem cell transplant;
- patients with chronic neurological conditions including epilepsy, spinal cord disorders, neuromuscular disorders;
- patients who any type of diabetes;
- pregnant women (can be given at any stage of the pregnancy);
- patients with metabolic disorders;
- patients with chronic renal failure; and
- children between the ages of 6 months to 10 years on chronic aspirin therapy.