Mental health problems are very common with 1 in 5 Australian adults reporting mental health issues in the last National Survey of Mental Health and Wellbeing. Mental health conditions are so common in the community but unfortunately are often not discussed and can go untreated for years. The most common conditions seen are depression, anxiety and substance misuse disorder.
Seeing a doctor and discussing how you are feeling is an excellent first step to getting the treatment you need. A conversation about your mental health with your doctor can change your life. All our doctors are experienced and trained in recognising the early signs and symptoms of mental illnesses to ensure access to effective treatment as well as providing additional counselling.
We provide empathic care for what can be a difficult subject to discuss but once started we can guide you to better mental health. Our doctors s can diagnose you and, if necessary prescribe medication or refer you on to a psychologist. They may put you on a Mental Health Care Plan which will then entitle you to a substantial Medicare rebate for up to 10 psychologist sessions.
If you have a mental health problem, our GPs at Milsons Point Medical Centre can:
- Make a diagnosis
- Check for any physical health problem or medication that may contribute to the mental health problem
- Discuss available treatments
- Work with you to draw up a Mental Health Care Plan so you can get a Medicare rebate for psychological treatment provided by a psychologist
- Provide brief counselling or talking therapy
- Prescribe medication
- refer you to a mental health specialist (psychiatrist).